agnes b. on grant street is closing–15 years! an institution for classic french everything! SO SAD! i stopped by during lunch, just in time for a mad rush of japanese tourists and passersby scrounging for 80% deals on anything left they could get their hands on…
i befriended an old italian lady who said she had been shopping there for years and was sad to see the place go; the poor shopgirl who was stuck rushing around refolding, rehanging, and attempting to keep order in the mayhem, pointed out a few buried treasures; and the guy in line behind me called every one of his friends trying to find out their shoe size after purchasing the entire men’s shoe department the night before.
i escaped (barely) with several scores, including:
- 1 pair sparkly silver trousers
- 1 clown-inspired polka dot tunic with flower trim
- 1 pair amazing white slouchy stacked-heel boots
- 2 red swimsuits (1 scandalous, 1 tie-dyed)
- 3 hats (1 fur, one scrunchy comme des garcons-esque straw, 1 peach felt)
- 3 art books (1 on window dressing, 2 on artists)
total: $250, tax included!
unfortunately i had to pass up the cream leather western jacket with friiiinge all down the sleeves and back and chest….not necessary but there’s something to be said about a $450 from $2250 price tag….fuck.